Virus on a file

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Virus on a file

Postby sarnoga » September 14th, 2006, 5:39 am

There is a new file listed at the top of the new files list. It is listed as a script. The name is r57. When I clicked on the file name to try to download it, it tried to put a virus on my computer.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby demigraff » September 14th, 2006, 6:13 am

That's not a virus, its a cracking tool. Someone was trying to hack the server by uploading it. It looks like it didn't work.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby Launch » September 14th, 2006, 6:59 am

It shows up as a trojan on my firewall.
Best to just leave it be, it'll be deleted soon enough anyway
Launch
Regular
Regular

Postby sarnoga » September 14th, 2006, 2:39 pm

yes, it showed up the same way on my computer. I wasn't trying to be specific when I called it a virus simply something you didn't intend to get and dont want on your computer. I was simply trying to alert folks so they didn't mess with it and end up with any problems.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Re: Virus on a file

Postby EMG » September 14th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Yeah, that's gone now. Fortunately the site isn't so insecure that that is a problem. Still, if that happens very often I'll have to change the site to not post files until I have reviewed them.

sarnoga wrote:There is a new file listed at the top of the new files list. It is listed as a script. The name is r57. When I clicked on the file name to try to download it, it tried to put a virus on my computer.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Virus on a file

Postby liljonny » September 15th, 2006, 6:26 am

EMG wrote:Yeah, that's gone now. Fortunately the site isn't so insecure that that is a problem. Still, if that happens very often I'll have to change the site to not post files until I have reviewed them.

I believe not having files posted until you review them is a good idea. I know things have to be reviewed before going on to the voting list. Also, I believe you should keep a record of who uploaded the file so they can be deleted and possably banned when submitting that type of file.
liljonny
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Help with Files