Editing a file?

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Editing a file?

Postby tenck5k » April 28th, 2013, 12:43 am

Hello,

I'm new to this entire thing, but I was interested in trying a certain file. However, after doing a fully conscious listening as suggested, there are certain things in the file I'm not entirely comfortable with, at least at the moment, such as a section about being compelled to listen to and download the file over and over. What affect would removing certain sections of a file have on the whole? Does it entirely depend on the file? I can identify the specific file if needed.

Thanks
tenck5k

Postby WatDo » April 28th, 2013, 1:54 am

1) If it's just a sound file, you can take out whatever you want. Most sound files are very easy to mix and match using the very same file. Your mileage may vary.

2) If it has beats in the background, it's a bit harder to do. If the beats skip too abruptly it might jar you out of trance. Same goes for simple sound files that you edit where the speaker's tone drastically changes or the speed changes.

3) If it has layered tracks with multiple speaking layers, it may be much much much harder to do. That's not always the case, but more often than not, it is.

Use audacity to edit stuff. It's super easy. I mix and match my own files all the time, though I wish I could do it better...
WatDo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby uw_onsterfelijk » April 28th, 2013, 1:58 am

Is the certain section you want edited out a "stand alone" suggestion or is it compound? Does it make a reference, or is referenced, to any other part of the file?

If it is just a stand alone suggestion hack it out! Also, if you go into a deep enough trance, chances are that you would not even notice it if there was a bit of a continuity breach.

AND yeah, what WatDo said to :D
uw_onsterfelijk
Mentor
Mentor

Postby demigraff » April 28th, 2013, 5:13 am

Yes, what they said ^^

One other thing to look out for is why that section is there. On my latest file, for example, I've added a suggestion "you want to listen to this file every day, making it stronger and stronger" which I normally wouldn't do, because I wanted to have a longer break between setting an idea, and coming back to build on it. Simply removing that would break the rhythm of the file, returning to the same idea too quickly.

I'm not sure how much difference this really makes, but it feels to me like sometimes it's necessary to give a thought time to "sink into your subconscious" before you rely on it to anchor another suggestion. And, from my experience at least, it does seem to help.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Return to Help with Files