frequency questions

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

frequency questions

Postby jesserev » September 2nd, 2005, 12:37 pm

Does anyone know how to ramp up the frequency of the files to say 15.5 khz?
jesserev

Postby davelowe1977 » September 2nd, 2005, 2:31 pm

Not sure what you mean about 'ramping up' the frequency of the files.

If I assume for a second you mean the mp3 encoding frequency, you can change it to anything you like using any common sound editing package (I use Cooledit pro 2000). The thing is though, it won't make any difference to the sound quality because all the upper frequency is lost when EMG encodes the files to 11025Hz 16bit stereo (to make the downloads small).

If you are desperate for CD quality files, you might ask EMG directly to supply them. I would put good money on him retaining an original copy as 44.1Khz stereo .wav or similar (which would be massive files).

If that wasn't what you meant, please clarify!
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby jesserev » September 2nd, 2005, 4:45 pm

perhaps I'm not reading/understanding this right...if i'm not, please explain...

On most Supraliminal recordings, the suggestions are placed at a high volume of 100 db. On recordings which are designed to help you relax, supraliminal suggestions are placed at 0 - 40 db. All supraliminal suggestions are placed at a very high frequency of 15.5 kHz. Due to high frequency, even though the suggestions on most recordings are very loud, they are inaudible to your conscious mind, and therefore bypass your conscious awareness and go directly to your subconscious mind.
jesserev

Postby Phoenix-D » September 3rd, 2005, 8:17 pm

Ok, if the sound is at 100dB, you are either going to hear it- and immediately turn it down- or not hear it at all.

With that kind of volume there is no in between, so I think whatever site you got that from was wrong.
Phoenix-D
Regular
Regular

Postby dharden » September 3rd, 2005, 8:58 pm

jesserev wrote:perhaps I'm not reading/understanding this right...if i'm not, please explain...

On most Supraliminal recordings, the suggestions are placed at a high volume of 100 db. On recordings which are designed to help you relax, supraliminal suggestions are placed at 0 - 40 db. All supraliminal suggestions are placed at a very high frequency of 15.5 kHz. Due to high frequency, even though the suggestions on most recordings are very loud, they are inaudible to your conscious mind, and therefore bypass your conscious awareness and go directly to your subconscious mind.

To me, it sounds as though that's talking about audio frequency. In general, the highest frequency we can hear is around 18-20 kHz, so 15.5 kHz would be audible to most people. It would just be a far higher frequency than we use for speech.

What davelowe is talking about is the encoding frequency, or sampling frequency, of an audio file. It's unrelated to audio frequency.

BTW, one example of 100 decibels is being two meters away from someone running a jackhammer.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby davelowe1977 » September 4th, 2005, 9:15 am

dharden I agree with you - I wasn't sure what the original post was about until it was clarified.
Phoenix-D, I agree with you also. The site post about sound level doesn't make sense for several reasons. Firstly, you would not express the sound level like that. Refering to a sound level of 100dBa in a file is pointless because absolute measures like that are only relevant to real world situations. As has been stated, they are taken at 1m distance from a sound source. For that measurement to be applicable in the stated case, the file would have to be played through calibrated equipment at known loudness and would be deafening.

Secondly, if you wanted to state sound level in a file, you would use 0dB as the loudest recorded sound (before distortion) and work backwords ie from 0, to -3, -6, -12........ -infinity (silence).

Further to all this, what is meant by "supraliminal suggestions are placed at a very high frequency of 15.5kHz)? This seems wrong to me for the following reason. I assume the suggestions are human speech which can be understood if broadcast between about 400 - 4000Hz (approx telephone quality) or about 3.5 octaves. In otherwords a range of frequencies not a 'spot' frequency. So, with this in mind, what does the 15.5kHz figure refer to? The base frequency or mean frequency or highest frequency? In the first two cases, they would largely be inaudible (too high) In the latter case, unintelligable. Believe me, I just recreated the effect on one of EMGs files and he sounded like a chipmunk on acid.

Conclusion: same as phoenix-D - whatever site you got that from was wrong.
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Help with Files