Are there any sleeping files?

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Are there any sleeping files?

Postby FDP » September 11th, 2006, 10:14 pm

As in... you listen to them solely while asleep?

I've been trying to listen to a number of these files, and to an extent they have worked out rather well. The problem is, however, that when I listen to them overnight, I tend to get little sleep, or very restless sleep. I'm thinking that this is because EMG (and others) end the file with "And now it's time to wake up." to get the listener out of the trance. It seems to me that this is waking me up, though.

So, is there any way to make these files easier to listen to while I sleep? It's a lot easier than trying to find time to listen to them during the day, as I am a full time college student.
FDP
Regular
Regular

Postby FDP » September 11th, 2006, 10:43 pm

ignusb wrote:Hypnosis will not work while you are asleep... you can achieve somnambulism which is as close to sleep as hypnosis will get you.

Actually, I've had a fair degree of success with it.

I mean, either that, or I'll just be in trance for like... 3 to 5 hours at a time while I'm trying to sleep. I think.

I'm not sure, honestly. It sounds plausible, but I'm skeptical about the whole "it will not work while I'm sleeping" as an absolute.
FDP
Regular
Regular

Postby Jacara » September 12th, 2006, 9:26 am

On both sides of the deep sleep is the level of consciousness that hypnosis is at, so theoretically if you put a suggestion on repeat and then go to sleep you'll be hearing it in trance at least twice before you wake up (more if you're a light sleeper). So although you won't be absorbing suggestions the entire night, you will be for at least part of the night.
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Blink » September 12th, 2006, 11:44 am

Jacara wrote:On both sides of the deep sleep is the level of consciousness that hypnosis is at, so theoretically if you put a suggestion on repeat and then go to sleep you'll be hearing it in trance at least twice before you wake up <snip>

If you look at the sleep cycle, you're actually going down and coming back up several times each night. I haven't looked at the research on this recently and my memory's faulty, but you're looking for somewhere in the alpha-theta brainwave state for the suggestions to work. I don't remember if you come back up to alpha-theta during the night, but you're right that you pass through it on the way to sleep and on the way back out.

The trick here is that the sleap learning material that I do remember says that you've got about a ten minute window immediately after you fall asleep during which you're still receptive. After that and you're too deeply asleep for the material to affect you.

Interestingly, there is a published technique for bringing people up from sleep into the hypnotic range. It's anecdotal, so I don't know how reliable it is, and I've never done it myself. I don't know if it's ever been done via recorded work, but it does have some interesting implications. If you're responsive enough to be talked back into hypnosis, then why wouldn't you be able to take the suggestions then, too. I don't know if there's any research, but it's fun to think about.

-- Blink
...and go even more deeply asleep.
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » September 13th, 2006, 5:01 pm

MyDiaperedMind wrote:Wow Blink! You're impressive on this subject. Might I ask how much schooling you've been thru to know all that?

Thanks for your praise. I wish I could remember more detail so my answer would be more useful to you.

Pat myself on the back for you? No problem at all. :)

Most of what I know is self-taught. I do have a hypnosis certification, but that's really not such a big deal. I've got a grad school diploma plus three years working clinically. I don't use hypnosis in the course of my work, but I've had ready access to a university library and interlibrary loan, so I've been able to read to my heart's content. I'm also a bit compulsive about buying books. If you can afford to get a copy of Ormond McGill's The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism, you really should. It's a great starting poing for all the clinical references I can give if you're interested. I've also scoured the 'net for hypnosis and related topics, and I was an active member of the Usenet discussions on hypnosis and NLP back before they became totally craptastic.

I've been interested in hypnosis, sleep learning and mind control for as long as I can remember. I've read the LIDA patents and I'm unimpressed. ;) (I'd still like to have one of the movie prop Neuralizers, though.)

I've had the opportunity to work with some very good clients, as well. I've worked with one somnambule who could do all the hypnotic phenomena all the way to the bottom of the Davis-Husband scale. She was great fun and I learned a lot. Having her do a negative hallucination for another hypnotist was a big ego boost. She also did some automatic drawing while in a deep trance that is still puzzling for its depth and complexity.

Anyone who remembers the journal that Patches kept knows that I've blended hypnosis with operant conditioning to good effect. I was sure that Patches had gotten bored with me and disappeared, but we recently got back in touch and he let me know that he'd been spooked by the depth of my control. (I've promised him no more hypnosis unless he asks for it, so don't expect any more journal entries.) Except for my bone-head mishandling of his fear, that's a ringing endorsement, I think.

I'm still getting unpacked and settled in after a cross-town move, so many of my best references aren't available, but I'm happy to put an effort into answering any question. For this stuff, you don't need to bother asking. There are some very good references available on the 'net. You can Google "beta alpha theta delta" and turn up tons of brainwave material. I posted a link to a good page somewhere 'round here. This link indicates that the Alpha-Theta brainwaves are only present once when falling asleep and once when waking up and not during the 90-minute cycles during the night. (The Wikipedia article on hypnosis explains more about Alpha-Theta.) There is probably better material, but this is what I could find quickly.

The technique for bringing someone up from sleep to hypnosis was described by Dave Elman, I believe. His Hypnotherapy is one of the books that I don't have handy at the moment.

Thanks again, MDM. I hope my answer hasn't bee too long or too boring.

-- Blink
...and you can begin to feel yourself drifting deeper, can't you.
Blink
Guru
Guru

Return to Help with Files