Help me Please

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Help me Please

Postby Hank01 » July 9th, 2009, 1:40 pm

I finally broke down and purchased an MP3 player and am excited about owning one. I bought it mainly just to hold my files from here so that I can listen to them at night instead of burning a CD hooked into my alarm clock. I know, I'm rambling, just trying to set the scene.

I have plugged in my MP3 player into my computer and sent files from my computer's downloads to the MP3 player. However, when I eject it from the computer and look at it, I can't find the files. I then plug it back in and it will display what files are in it on my computer screen. I'm assuming that if the computer found them in the player, they MUST be there.

Are they totally hidden inside the player and I can't find them? I spent some good money for this thing and am becoming frustrated that I can't use it to listen to my files.

I hope that I have explained everything okay.

Help, anyone?

Hank
Hank01
Regular
Regular

Postby Score_Under » July 9th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Try using the synchronization feature of Windows Media Player, or seeing if the MP3 player came with any software to allow you to add songs to the list - some, like the iPod, require a special program to add the songs as it uses a proprietary database format to retrieve the song titles, artists, albums, etc.
Score_Under
Regular
Regular

Postby davelowe1977 » July 9th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Top tips so far...

I would add that you need to ensure that the mp3 format of the file is compatible with the mp3 player - some do not like VBR and/or low bit rate formats.

If you let me know the make and model of the mp3 player you have, I could give more specific advice. Usually its a question of getting to know the bit of technology. Details such as the OS you are using are also useful, as are the files that you are trying to transfer.
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby MacGyver » July 9th, 2009, 5:13 pm

well, one mp3 player, i can load files straight onto and it will play them, the other mp3 player (the newer one) i have to use windows media player and sync the files to the player esle it wont play them.
MacGyver
Guru
Guru

Wow!

Postby Hank01 » July 9th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Wow, thank you so much for all the responses.

I, as you probably have guessed, am totally techie challenged. I'm a teacher and if I have problems with anything on the computer, I always find a kid who can help me.

All I can tell you right now is that I bought it at Walmart for like $130. It is and Apple Ipod with 8GB. (I do know that that is the amount of memory, right?)

Is there anything I can find somewhere to answer some questions? I did go into the properties of it just now and added a folder and something about "all files", something that I see when I save to my computer.

Thank you so much for all the attention.

I"ll keep trying and if anyone needs any more information, please just ask.

Hank
Last edited by Hank01 on July 9th, 2009, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hank01
Regular
Regular

Wow, part 2

Postby Hank01 » July 9th, 2009, 6:24 pm

I tried to download binaurals and subliminals. Would that be part of the probelm? I will try the sync thing that was mentioned and see what happens.

I did join some website for a lifetime of downloads and it was added to my computer, but I can't get into that to even try downloaded just plain songs. I'm really frustrated and embarassed that I can't do something this simple.

Thanks again,
Hank
Hank01
Regular
Regular

Postby Ladon » July 9th, 2009, 8:17 pm

An iPod can act as both a disk drive, AND as a music player. You placed the files into the disk drive part. You have to load the files into iTunes, then sync them with the iPod to get them on to listen.
Ladon
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Vendetta » July 10th, 2009, 12:37 am

http://ipod.about.com/od/itunesbasics/ss/adding_folders.htm

Follow the instructions in that link for adding music to your iTunes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1351

Follow the instructions in the link above so that you can sync your entire library to your iPod. Note that this link need only be followed the FIRST time you add music to your iPod, each time after this first sync, your iPod should automatically sync with your iTunes library once it is plugged in.

Good luck! Please post any further questions here.
Vendetta

Postby bleifrei » July 10th, 2009, 10:59 am

try poddox.

it's free and you don't need itunes
http://www.poddox.com/

greetings
bleifrei
bleifrei

Return to Help with Files