General public files vs. Custom made ones

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

General public files vs. Custom made ones

Postby patrj » September 21st, 2005, 7:44 pm

Hi I am curious to know whether there is a difference between listening to a file made for the general audience over something that was made specifically to your requset/preferences. Do they have the same effect matter what? Does one way work faster or better than the other?

Has anyone asked to have a file made that was similar to what was currently available in the files section and did it help a lot?
Thanks
patrj

Postby Dustpuppy » September 21st, 2005, 10:41 pm

Heya, I am just a very new visitor here but here goes. This is based on listening to various recordings and from reading and editing some various scripts over a short period of time.
Basically you answered your own question. A general file would be just that, made to appeal to or work for a broad range of people. Adding in too many specifics would narrow the range of people who would be interested in or see benefits from it. A custom file would be more tailored to things like your preferred way of relaxing, what results you are trying to get by listening/reading, how long will it last, who or what may or may not cause the effect etc.
Many of the files here are available as scripts, which you can open up and read in a text editor. Using myself as an example, being addressed in a forceful manner pretty much instantly makes me angry and rouses me from whatever relaxation I have been able to achieve. So say if I really did want to quit smoking, and a general file said something like, "You are totally a slave to my will, a puppet I control" or something like that, then no matter how much I wanted to quit smoking I probably wouldn't listen to any suggestions in the file, if I even finished listening to it. Now say someone edits the file so that it indirectly 'asks' me to quit, or helps me visualize the benefits of quitting, etc, then even if it doesn't 'stick', more than likely I will be able to finish listening to it, and even want to listen to it again. (This is purely an example, I have not tried the actual stop smoking file available here.)
As to whether they have the same effects, I am not sure. I imagine if you are open to pretty much anything and in a truly suggestible state, then you would listen to whatever was being said to you, whether it was a general file or a custom one.
I haven't asked anyone to make a custom file for me, but I have opened some up to edit them. Removing things that I have no interest in having happen, changing anything that jolts me awake to something more subtle, or adding in things that I am trying to accomplish. I also tend to change any suggestions that are triggered by anyone who says it. From what I have read, these are called 'open ended triggers' and can lead to some unfortunate circumstances in public places, such as falling into a trance or something a little more embarrasing, depending on what you are listening to.
There are also things like background music or other sounds, and also things like visual animations to look at, and things like words flashing on the screen. I assume all of these could have an effect for any individual. If you hate the color yellow and dislike violin music, then watching a yellow spiral swirling around while violins play in the background would probably distract you.
As far as actual results go, for me it is too early to give any definate opinion on what works faster or better or at all. Do I believe that it could work? Yes. Do I believe that it will? Not sure.
Anyhow, hope this helped a little bit, at least until someone with more experience answers your questions.
Dustpuppy

Postby MikeWulf » September 23rd, 2005, 1:31 am

Depends on your tastes. Nothing about hypnosis is set in stone.
MikeWulf
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Help with Files