Visualize

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Visualize

Postby andy546 » April 17th, 2008, 8:55 am

Hello. I am an avid reader and lately I haven't been able to visualize anymore at all! I don't know what's wrong with me or mabey it's because I keep telling myself that I can't do it or something like that. Can hypnosis help me visualize again?
andy546

Postby loadedkaos » April 17th, 2008, 9:57 am

sorta writing this fast cause I am racing off to work but one thing that a hypnotist told me is if you think you can't visualize just pretend you can, in actuality you can visualize just for what ever reason you are blocking the process so try changing the goal of it by changing the wording like instead trying to visualize, pretend to visualize.
loadedkaos
Mentor
Mentor

Postby lauramcan » April 17th, 2008, 10:33 am

I have been having the same problem for a while now too. I realized it after someone asked me what I fantasize about and i realized...i don't fantasize! When i try, i see bits and pieces of a scene, but i can't see more than a few seconds at a time. I don't know if this is normal....i'm pretty sure some people can think of something and visualize it from start to finish.

nonsexual example- one morning while making breakfast, i started thinking about it and i tried to visualize me walking from the kitchen to my bedroom. I closed my eyes and tried to see myself walking but i ended up just thinking "ok, i'd turn and take maybe 2 steps to my left then turn and the table is maybe 8 steps away, then 2 steps right, etc." I couldn't see it.

Very frustrating. Any advice would be much appreciated by me and i'm sure Andy!
lauramcan
Regular
Regular

Postby FloridaPuppy » April 17th, 2008, 11:04 am

lauramcan wrote:I have been having the same problem for a while now too. I realized it after someone asked me what I fantasize about and i realized...i don't fantasize! When i try, i see bits and pieces of a scene, but i can't see more than a few seconds at a time. I don't know if this is normal....i'm pretty sure some people can think of something and visualize it from start to finish.

nonsexual example- one morning while making breakfast, i started thinking about it and i tried to visualize me walking from the kitchen to my bedroom. I closed my eyes and tried to see myself walking but i ended up just thinking "ok, i'd turn and take maybe 2 steps to my left then turn and the table is maybe 8 steps away, then 2 steps right, etc." I couldn't see it.

Very frustrating. Any advice would be much appreciated by me and i'm sure Andy!

Try to think about it differently, also things like trying to think about yourself imagining it or to pretend to imagine it can help. Instead of trying to see yourself walk from the kitchen to the bedroom, try to feel yourself standing in the kitchen, how the tile feels on your feet, the sounds of the refridgerator and everything else in the kitchen, any smells that might be there. Think about how your feet sound when you take a step, and how the new patch of tile is so much colder than the one you were already starting to warm up a moment ago. Think about how the noises change when you go from taking a single step, to taking several steps, and try to imagine each of them in sequence. Keep going with everything else along the way similarly and see if it helps.
FloridaPuppy
Mentor
Mentor

Postby lauramcan » April 21st, 2008, 8:42 pm

FloridaPuppy wrote:Try to think about it differently, also things like trying to think about yourself imagining it or to pretend to imagine it can help. Instead of trying to see yourself walk from the kitchen to the bedroom, try to feel yourself standing in the kitchen, how the tile feels on your feet, the sounds of the refridgerator and everything else in the kitchen, any smells that might be there. Think about how your feet sound when you take a step, and how the new patch of tile is so much colder than the one you were already starting to warm up a moment ago. Think about how the noises change when you go from taking a single step, to taking several steps, and try to imagine each of them in sequence. Keep going with everything else along the way similarly and see if it helps.

wow, that works amazingly well. I tried using that technique to imagine walking from my bedroom to the bathroom and for some reason, imagining the carpet crunching under my feet or the door creeking or the cool air in the hallway actually let me see some of it too! Nothing too detailed, but I saw it more clearly than usual!

Now if only people would use more nonvisual cues....

Great advice, puppy!
lauramcan
Regular
Regular

Return to General Hypnosis