question--why repetition necessary?

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

question--why repetition necessary?

Postby robbyn » February 4th, 2007, 8:26 pm

Since I've been on this site I've been surprised that repetition is necessary for the files to work (and even then some don't have luck). I think of stage hypnosis shows in which the suggestions seem to work instantly. I know that stage hypnosis is different--crowd dynamics might strenghten the response, and especially somnamulistic people tend to chosen (and remembered as the life of the show). However, I still can't help but wonder. Maybe some of you 'tists here can answer my question?
robbyn

Postby VeryGnawty » February 5th, 2007, 12:41 am

Stage hypnosis is a lot different. First of all, a lot of it is quackery. Secondly, there is the crowd dynamic, which works similar to the way it works in firewalking. Thirdly, there's a lot of buildup in stagework. People are practically in trance just watching the show in the first place.

Mostly, it has to do with stage shows being faked.
"Once, people only flew in their dreams. Now, they dream during their flights." - Howard Hendrix
VeryGnawty
Guru
Guru

Postby Jack » February 5th, 2007, 7:44 am

Different perspective.

I've seen several stage shows in person, and a few more on vhs. I don't know what you've seen. I can say that the shows I've seen have all had repetition used to a great extent.

One thing about stage hypnosis is that there are pretty severe time constraints. So, you have to filter through people to find those who are the most suggestible with you at that particular time.

Another thing, that VG mentioned, is that you do a lot of setup in stage hypnosis. Just about everything one does on the stage is meant to guide the audience, and the participants into greater belief in your ability.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby gregi696 » February 5th, 2007, 2:01 pm

I've seen several stage hypnosis shows myself and even participated once. The only reason I know what happened is thanks to the people in attendance that night.
However the stage hypnotist does repeat him/herself whenever they give commands. However, they do it subtly, more like a reminder than a true repetition.
The crowd response is also important, in all of the shows I've seen, the hypnotist tells the subjects that the greater the crowd response the more they will respond to what he/she says. So he/she builds in a reinforcer early on.
Another interesting thing to point out is that the people under hypnosis don't ever fully leave trance until the show is over. The show I saw had people open their eyes and react, but not wake fully. This is probably the biggest difference between the site and stage hypnosis. A lot of the intention especially with trigger files is to create a spontaneous response to a trigger, not to create a response while under trance.
Finally, stage hypnotists do not select people at random. Volunteers want to be hypnotized. Secondly, people in the crowd are often hypnotized during the induction as well. These people are very suggestible and a good hypnotist will get these ones on stage. A good example, is at our annual hypnotist show(university). One girl volunteered the first year, but the second year wanted to watch but went under so deeply during the induction that after the show she woke up and wondered where she was.
gregi696
Mentor
Mentor

Postby whatthe75 » February 6th, 2007, 12:14 am

Also with stage hypnosis the people volunterring are willing and expecting to be made to silly things and most of them have already had a few drinks.

If you got a a room of 100 people drinking together - you could almost guarantee that you could get 5 of them to do silly things in front of everyone without hypnosis.
whatthe75
Guru
Guru

Postby VeryGnawty » February 6th, 2007, 7:15 am

whatthe75 wrote:
If you got a a room of 100 people drinking together - you could almost guarantee that you could get 5 of them to do silly things in front of everyone without hypnosis.

You could probably get a couple of people to do that even without drinks. You'd be surprised what you can do with mob mentality and peer pressure.
"Once, people only flew in their dreams. Now, they dream during their flights." - Howard Hendrix
VeryGnawty
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis