Description at the start.

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Description at the start.

Postby Afflicting » December 31st, 2007, 7:57 am

This would have been sent in a PM to EMG just explaining my problem, but I thought I might post it up here for him to see and others to discuss.

Before each of EMG's files that I've listened to, there's a rather long explanation of what they're going to do. From eleven seconds to thirty, which is long enough to just kill me.
I'll usually pair his triggers with Blink's induction, and that causal and happy voice he uses to explain what's going to happen drags me out.

I was wondering, EMG. We've all been to the site to download the files, we know what happens. Could you not have the explanation?
Afflicting

Postby ShadowSabre » December 31st, 2007, 11:46 am

You can just download Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) and cut out the introduction, if you don't like it. It's not too hard a program to figure out....
ShadowSabre
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dharden » January 1st, 2008, 12:21 pm

There's also mp3DirectCut, from http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html . The advantage to using it is that it can edit an mp3 without having to decompress and recompress it.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Description at the start.

Postby EMG » January 2nd, 2008, 2:17 am

The explanation is so that if anyone wants to "surprise" someone with a file they aren't expecting they have to go to the effort of modifying one of my files or playing other games. I consider it a kind of public service announcement so the end user gets what they expect and knows what to expect. I'm afraid you'll have to either skip that part or edit it with virtually any sound editor.

Afflicting wrote:This would have been sent in a PM to EMG just explaining my problem, but I thought I might post it up here for him to see and others to discuss.

Before each of EMG's files that I've listened to, there's a rather long explanation of what they're going to do. From eleven seconds to thirty, which is long enough to just kill me.
I'll usually pair his triggers with Blink's induction, and that causal and happy voice he uses to explain what's going to happen drags me out.

I was wondering, EMG. We've all been to the site to download the files, we know what happens. Could you not have the explanation?
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hellion0 » January 3rd, 2008, 12:30 am

If anything, I find the announcement thing helpful to kill time so I can be in a suitable physical position to go into trance by the time the induction actually begins.
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."
hellion0
Regular
Regular

Postby BobbyS » January 3rd, 2008, 4:38 am

Agreed; all files need something non-induction at the start to help the person settle down a bit. After all, as there is no real hypnotist to chat with, you won't have established rapport and entered a natural relaxed position already.

That said though, I had always wondered what the point of a description of the file you already downloaded was. Guess now I know.
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Re: Description at the start.

Postby Henrique » January 4th, 2008, 4:08 pm

EMG wrote:The explanation is so that if anyone wants to "surprise" someone with a file they aren't expecting they have to go to the effort of modifying one of my files or playing other games. (...)

Being really evil, you could always switch the inical explanation from one file to another, thus creating a "surprise" file.
Henrique
Mentor
Mentor

Postby BobbyS » January 4th, 2008, 4:39 pm

It's one thing to have a file with intentionally unknown effects (e.g. the Trick/Treat files), it's quite another to mislead people as to what the file does. I'm sure if EMG did that he'd lose a massive proportion of visitors to the site, if not the vast majority.
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » January 4th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Well, I'd certainly leave ;) Still, yes, the site has a certain integrity and I try hard to maintain that. Still, it wouldn't preclude files like trick/treat that had no intro and do something odd/surprising but I try to keep those surprises from being TOO shocking.

BobbyS wrote:It's one thing to have a file with intentionally unknown effects (e.g. the Trick/Treat files), it's quite another to mislead people as to what the file does. I'm sure if EMG did that he'd lose a massive proportion of visitors to the site, if not the vast majority.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Improvements