Define how long a "Page" is

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Define how long a "Page" is

Postby Jeshi » April 26th, 2009, 9:15 pm

On the front page it says that in order to get premium access for writing a story it must be "at least 2 pages long".

But how long is page? when you submit a story theres just a text field, is the definition of a page how long it takes for a word editor like Microsoft word to say it's a different page? different word editors might have different lengths and some people just type it on the spot or use notepad.

Can EMG give some clarity as to how we can tell if something is a "Page" long?
Jeshi
Guru
Guru

Postby demigraff » April 28th, 2009, 4:37 am

When our college introduced online essay submission, they included the instruction "If your tutor specifies project length in pages, assume that a page is 600 words and a diagram is worth 250 words."

In this case, I think a page is more likely to be interpreted in terms of a full screen of text, but that varies too. I'm on my phone now, so this post is just over a full "page".
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby MacGyver » April 28th, 2009, 10:37 am

i use windows wordpad, when i fill a page on word pad, to me this is one page, i am working on another story now, but rather than just goin off the top of my head like normal, i am putting it in word pad then will copy and paste when i am ready to post.

if the story is really long, it may help to break it up into parts as if it is too long, the person reading the story may just say forget this and stop reading. so, say ya got 6 pages according to the word pad program, break the story into 3 sections and post each section as part 1 part 2 and part 3 of your story.

if you can fill a page or more of wordpad i think it may count as 1 page here, otherwise, ya may hafta get EMG to fill ya in on what one page is, this is just the way i do it goin by what my wordpad program counts as one page.
MacGyver
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » April 30th, 2009, 11:30 am

A simple rule of thumb, if you can print it and it makes it to 2 pages of paper you're probably good. I'm not terribly picky, I just don't want to be giving out memberships for someone that writes a paragraph. If you come short I usually still give you a 1 month membership.

I do not give memberships for re-posting stories written by others.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Improvements