Not exactly relevant, but...

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Not exactly relevant, but...

Postby demigraff » July 22nd, 2009, 7:03 pm

I'm not sure if I'm OK posting this here ... though I suspect most of the people who'd have something to contribute would be most likely to see it here. Hope nobody objects.

I'm currently working on a certain content management system (CMS) for managing websites. I'm rebuilding the plugin system in order to make the software suitable for running a wider variety of types of website.

One of the test projects I'm building for my system is a hypnosis website very much like this one. The site I'm building won't be a rival to WMM - in fact, it will probably only be online for testing purposes. But I thought I should ask the people who often comment here :-

If I'm building a site with pretty much the same purpose as WMM (Forums, file ideas/voting, file downloads, etc), is there any feature or layout option which you think would make such a site really stand out?
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » July 22nd, 2009, 7:13 pm

I'll tell you what I'd change here(by way of tacit approval of your question).

The stories don't even have categories,
The user profiles aren't searchable and don't really help you meet people
They also don't allow you to have pictures etc that connect to your count
The Gallery is obviously an add-on and not a great one.
There's no way to flag your favorite files and add them to your profile
We don't have any hypno-videos

That's a good start :)

Oh, and the build of WMM 2.0 has started. If you want a challenge or just to help out drop me a note and maybe we'll make all those things happen plus a few more.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby demigraff » July 22nd, 2009, 7:33 pm

Interesting point about categories. And that's where my mind goes off in a different direction. The files, and the voting page, and many of the forums, are essentially duplicating the same list of categories. Stories and pictures could use categories too ... so why not have a global set of categories, that everything fits into.

Heck, even allow users to put themselves into categories. Its as good a way as any to search for people with similar interests.

I would have volunteered to see if I can help with the site - I'd certainly very much like to. I don't think I'd be much help, though, as I really don't like working with PHP. (I've done mediawiki plugins and OO PHP packages for other people's systems, but only when I couldn't find other work. I can get by, but its not really one of my talents)
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » July 22nd, 2009, 9:33 pm

I understand, there are languages I'm not a guru in too :)

It's going to be a while before WMM2.0 is done but I do plan to allow a greater flexibility in linking between things and people and would like to offer Feminize.warpmymind.com, etc where you only get set types of files/messages/etc.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby werepuppy » July 24th, 2009, 9:03 pm

How about being able to get email when somebody comments on your journal or your voting idea or something?

Or even if somebody replies to something you commented on, like facebook.

It would be nice to have a front page with "new everything". The "posts since your last visit" on the forum is nice, but I'd like to get to it easier, I want that more often than I want to look any one forum, so maybe it could be on the sidebar menu. Would be nice if new journals (or just new journals from your friends), or new photos and new stories could be there too. Maybe a page "new files since my last time", so you don't have to check the top of 3 different lists on that page to see whether there's new ones.
werepuppy
Regular
Regular

Postby demigraff » July 24th, 2009, 9:13 pm

Great minds think alike :)

Actually, the prototype I'm building goes to this in a different way. Clicking 'comment' on a file, gallery picture, whatever creates a forum post with the file attached (author is the item's creator) and then replies to it. The module view template will include links to all previous posts.

I really hope I don't have to write the forum stuff from scratch, though. I have yet to see a decent forum plugin, so maybe using the forum bits to organise a whole site is a bit of a bad idea.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » July 24th, 2009, 10:13 pm

You have several very good ideas there and some of them are already being planned, and some of them may get added. I definitely want a more robust system and there will be email notices for new posts(if you want them).

I really like the idea of tracking new files, posts, journals, pictures, video since your last visit. Don't expect this overnight, there's a LONG way to go and I'll take every offer of help I can get.

werepuppy wrote:How about being able to get email when somebody comments on your journal or your voting idea or something?

Or even if somebody replies to something you commented on, like facebook.

It would be nice to have a front page with "new everything". The "posts since your last visit" on the forum is nice, but I'd like to get to it easier, I want that more often than I want to look any one forum, so maybe it could be on the sidebar menu. Would be nice if new journals (or just new journals from your friends), or new photos and new stories could be there too. Maybe a page "new files since my last time", so you don't have to check the top of 3 different lists on that page to see whether there's new ones.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Improvements