Problem with Search

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Problem with Search

Postby sarnoga » October 21st, 2009, 12:59 pm

Hello EMG,

This might be old news, but I think there is a problem with the search function.

On 10-19 rustyrivers posted a file titled "BoyHood Subliminal." He described it as a subliminal of of the file Boyhood and described what he had done. In the processes he left out any real description of the file that he had made the subliminal of. I knew I had seen it but my memory is not that good so I went to search to find the file Boyhood to read it's description.

Strangely enough, when I did a search for Boyhood the only file that came up was the recently posted file by rustyrivers. I then did a search for BoyHood and another one for boyhood, both with the same result.

When I expanded the search to just search for Boy, I got a much bigger list that included the file he must have been referring to. The file is just named Boyhood and is a pay file. Also on the list was Boyhood2.

I can't think of any reason they would not have come up when I did a search for Boyhood, unless the search engine is broken somehow or the database corrupted.

Maybe I am the only one who has experienced trouble with the search function but I thought it worth mentioning just in case it is the sort of thing that needs attention.

Thanks,

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby demigraff » October 21st, 2009, 2:00 pm

From the times I've had trouble finding something, I'd guess that the search matches words in the file's description, but doesn't match exact titles. I'm not sure whether it will match a partial title or not.

(Amazon has/had similar issues, especially with books that have "The" in the title)
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » October 21st, 2009, 2:39 pm

Thanks, Demigraff,

But I'm not sure I understand. In the BoyHood Subliminal the term BoyHood is not in the description, only in the file name. On the other hand since the main file isn't there and its only a subliminal the term BoyHood is not a link and is not underline.

Unless I'm missing something I guess its a mystery, at least for now.

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Starmaster » October 21st, 2009, 3:59 pm

I've had similar problems. I can't offer a solution, but as a workaround what I do in those situations is go to the file listing, select all categories, and then use my browser's search ("Find in Page") for the file name. That works pretty good, and not really much slower (just have to wait for all the names to load). Just until the search gets fixed anyway.
Starmaster
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » October 21st, 2009, 4:47 pm

Yes, search is PAINFULLY bad. WMM 2.0 will fix that, but we're not there, with luck by years end.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sarnoga » October 21st, 2009, 4:50 pm

It may be bad but it is still useful. I do like being able to search by author.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » October 21st, 2009, 4:51 pm

Starmaster wrote:I've had similar problems. I can't offer a solution, but as a workaround what I do in those situations is go to the file listing, select all categories, and then use my browser's search ("Find in Page") for the file name. That works pretty good, and not really much slower (just have to wait for all the names to load). Just until the search gets fixed anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Ashley_H » July 25th, 2010, 5:08 pm

I might add that the new file system doesn't work......at all.

I search for the same exact title as the ones showing up in "what's hot"
and i always get 0 results no matter what. Horribly broken.

Another -huge- improvement would be to link the "what's hot" files to the file page with the description and so on. Not directly to the download link.

I'd love to know what i'm looking at if i decide to download a file. Not just guess what it's about by looking at the title.
Ashley_H
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » July 25th, 2010, 7:56 pm

I believe we figured out what the problem is(you were not clicking the search button, you were probably just hitting return). Anyway, we have improved it quite a bit and I think you'll find it a lot more powerful.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not good

Postby sfhole2stretch » July 26th, 2010, 1:37 pm

New file search system doesn't work. Losing interest. Too hard to find anything. :cry:
sfhole2stretch
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Not good

Postby EMG » July 26th, 2010, 9:06 pm

How about telling me a little about what you are trying to find or what you are trying to do. That would help me actually FIX whatever problem you may be having.

Things that would help.
Web browser
function giving you headaches.
all the options you set including the search phrase if that is being used.

Thanks.

sfhole2stretch wrote:New file search system doesn't work. Losing interest. Too hard to find anything. :cry:
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ashley_H » July 27th, 2010, 6:12 am

Okay, I tried it once again and used something simple. For example, I searched for "I am a sissy" which should be a file since it's on the what's hot page.

I suggest that clicking search and return should be the same thing here if it's possible.

Once i clicked on search, i get completely random files with all the "A"¨s highlighted. I tried it again by selecting feminisation to the left but got the same resault.

All 8 results didn't have "I am a Sissy" in them anywhere.

I'm using the latest Mozilla firefox, on windows 7 64-bit
Ashley_H
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » July 27th, 2010, 7:54 am

Yeah. looks like the upgrade REALLY broke something. It will be fixed.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby EMG » July 27th, 2010, 10:07 pm

Try the search again, I believe you will find that it does MUCH better.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Improvements