File Titles

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

File Titles

Postby DKaiser » November 27th, 2010, 4:51 pm

So, when downloading files, they tend to have rather unhelpful titles based on the uploader(something on the lines of "AuthorName"_"FileNumber"), which says nothing about what file it actually is. Perhaps the uploader could be changed to allow files to keep the title they already have? Or default to something like "AuthorName"_"FileName"_"FileType"(body, binaural, subliminal, and so forth), where what file it is is readily obvious.
http://tinyurl.com/2emkrpk
Enjoy my files? Donate!
DKaiser
Mentor
Mentor

Re: File Titles

Postby sarnoga » November 27th, 2010, 4:54 pm

DKaiser wrote:So, when downloading files, they tend to have rather unhelpful titles based on the uploader(something on the lines of "AuthorName"_"FileNumber"), which says nothing about what file it actually is. Perhaps the uploader could be changed to allow files to keep the title they already have? Or default to something like "AuthorName"_"FileName"_"FileType"(body, binaural, subliminal, and so forth), where what file it is is readily obvious.

I think it used to be like that. I recently noticed it had changed. I suspect it is somehow related to the new file sorting system.

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby DKaiser » November 27th, 2010, 5:39 pm

And while throwing out thoughts on the file system, there was a thought on files that only have one format, but aren't the generic format(like a file that's only a script, or only a binaural). Is it possible with the way the file system is set up to have the generic format link default to whatever file type is there, so that they don't remain premium-only forever?

Sadly, that would either be really easy to do or way more trouble than it's worth, depending on how the system works, but here's throwing it out there just in case.
Enjoy my files? Donate!
DKaiser
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sarnoga » November 27th, 2010, 8:38 pm

I guess I don't understand what you are saying. Scripts and binaurals etc, everything but the main file are intended to remain premium forever.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby DKaiser » November 27th, 2010, 8:58 pm

It's things like files where someone hasn't put an actual base file, just something in the binaural slot or some such. The idea(if I have it right), is that the base file becomes free after 6-months, while the alternate versions remain premium forever as an incentive to upgrade. However, if there is no base version uploaded for that file(either from brain farts on the part of the uploader, or just uploading a script without a recording attached), then the file will never end up having a non-premium component, which is a little silly.

Kayo, found an example pretty quick. Take something like the ".5khz Binaural" file. There's no suggestions, it's just a binaural, for application to other files. However, it's uploaded in the Binaural slot, not as the base file, so even though it's not an upgraded version of a base file, it'll still never become non-premium.
Enjoy my files? Donate!
DKaiser
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jeshi » November 28th, 2010, 1:19 am

DKaiser wrote:It's things like files where someone hasn't put an actual base file, just something in the binaural slot or some such. The idea(if I have it right), is that the base file becomes free after 6-months, while the alternate versions remain premium forever as an incentive to upgrade. However, if there is no base version uploaded for that file(either from brain farts on the part of the uploader, or just uploading a script without a recording attached), then the file will never end up having a non-premium component, which is a little silly.

Kayo, found an example pretty quick. Take something like the ".5khz Binaural" file. There's no suggestions, it's just a binaural, for application to other files. However, it's uploaded in the Binaural slot, not as the base file, so even though it's not an upgraded version of a base file, it'll still never become non-premium.

A lot of people when they make a file that's just a subliminal or just a binaural upload the audio file and just set the options so that it's considered the main file, even though it's a subliminal. Since it has no other versions there's no reason to make it set as subliminal.

For scripts though, that can't really be done.
Jeshi
Guru
Guru

Postby Liann » November 28th, 2010, 12:28 pm

My solution for "unhelpful names" is to dload the file with the non-descriptive name, then create a blank text file named the same as the file description name. They both go in the same dloads folder. When the dload is complete, I copy the named text file name to the audio file and delete the empty text file.

Sometimes I change only part of the weird named file, leaving the author name first, followed by the descriptive name, then an alphabetical sort puts all of an author's files in a bunch, sub-sorted A-to-Z.

This is an awkward workaround, and I agree that it would be more pleasant to have the files original names preserved through the entire upload-download process.
Liann
Mentor
Mentor

Postby jordyd19 » December 6th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Liann wrote:My solution for "unhelpful names" is to dload the file with the non-descriptive name, then create a blank text file named the same as the file description name. They both go in the same dloads folder. When the dload is complete, I copy the named text file name to the audio file and delete the empty text file.

Sometimes I change only part of the weird named file, leaving the author name first, followed by the descriptive name, then an alphabetical sort puts all of an author's files in a bunch, sub-sorted A-to-Z.

This is an awkward workaround, and I agree that it would be more pleasant to have the files original names preserved through the entire upload-download process.

love you liann
jordyd19
Regular
Regular

Return to Site Improvements