the "Files" page

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

the "Files" page

Postby Alien » May 30th, 2006, 11:26 pm

I login, click on the "Files" tab at the top of the page or the "Files" module in the side-menu, and I get a blank page every time. Do I have to have a premium membership just to be able to see a list of what Files are offered here?, or am I doing something wrong. All the other "modules" and tabs work fine for me, including "Files - New/Top 10".
Alien

Re: the "Files" page

Postby EMG » May 31st, 2006, 1:00 am

I'm not sure what might be causing you problems. Which browser do you use? Most people have no difficulties and you should be able to see the files without paying a cent, most of them are free.

Alien wrote:I login, click on the "Files" tab at the top of the page or the "Files" module in the side-menu, and I get a blank page every time. Do I have to have a premium membership just to be able to see a list of what Files are offered here?, or am I doing something wrong. All the other "modules" and tabs work fine for me, including "Files - New/Top 10".
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Alien » May 31st, 2006, 4:10 pm

EMG,

My browser is MS Internet Explorer 6.0. And my antivirus program is Norton (though Norton's not reporting any problems here). It certainly is weird.

But thank you for your prompt response. At least I know the obstacle is somewhere in my computer, not on this site. As I said, all the other pages are opening just fine.
Alien

Postby EMG » May 31st, 2006, 7:11 pm

Unfortunately I don't know quite what to suggest. you might want to make certain that JavaScript is enabled and look at the bottome of the page when you go to it(in the IE status bar) and see if there's a little error icon, if so click on it and it may say what is breaking. I'm using IE6 myself so I'm really not sure what the issue is. I know that I've had one other user with the same complaint in the past.

Alien wrote:EMG,

My browser is MS Internet Explorer 6.0. And my antivirus program is Norton (though Norton's not reporting any problems here). It certainly is weird.

But thank you for your prompt response. At least I know the obstacle is somewhere in my computer, not on this site. As I said, all the other pages are opening just fine.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wereman467 » June 21st, 2006, 2:47 pm

I also get a blank file page. I also use internat explorer 6.0.
wereman467

Postby anobody7 » September 2nd, 2006, 10:56 pm

I had the same problem but I found how to get around it.

I use Norton on my computer and had the same problem. I have Norton Internet Security as my firewall. Disabling Norton Internet Security allowed me to access the "Files page". I can leave Auto Protect on but Internet Security has to be disabled.

If you don't have Norton Internet Security try disabling any software that monitors internet connections.

SG
anobody7@hotmail.com
anobody7

Postby sarnoga » September 2nd, 2006, 11:11 pm

You might try using Mozilla Firefox. It shouldn't require you to disable Norton.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Capt » September 3rd, 2006, 10:32 am

Or you could scrap Norton and get a different anti-virus program. Avast! is free and in my opinion better than any of the commercial programs I've tried.
Capt
Regular
Regular

Postby homerj1620 » September 10th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Capt wrote:Or you could scrap Norton and get a different anti-virus program. Avast! is free and in my opinion better than any of the commercial programs I've tried.

I'd highly recommend dumping Norton. AVG is also good (and free).
homerj1620
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Akir » September 15th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Or even better, use linux!

If that isn't your 'thing,' then Clamwin (I think they may have changed to ClamShell...) is a good antivirus. It's available from sourceforge.
Akir

Postby homerj1620 » September 16th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Akir wrote:Or even better, use linux!

Agreed. That's what I've been doing for the last 10 years. Moved distro's quite a bit, but have been using Ubuntu primarily for the last year.

However, I generally recommend Mac's to people. Even though I prefer Linux, there are still a few things about it that are too difficult for n00bs to grasp. Also with a Mac people actually realize they're running something different and stop bugging me about trying to run some random Windows app on it or random hardware that's Windows-only.

Akir wrote:If that isn't your 'thing,' then Clamwin (I think they may have changed to ClamShell...) is a good antivirus. It's available from sourceforge.

ClamAV works great for scanning email, but for general Windows viruses it's not very good. Try taking a heavily spyware/virus infested machine, booting into into Linux (either a live CD or a network boot) and run the following: F-Prot (free for Linux), BitDefender (free for Linux) and ClamAV. All read only. Both F-Prot and BitDefender will pick up a significantly larger amount of infected files.

For email, though, I use ClamAV on my servers (with MailScanner and SpamAssassin) and it hasn't let one though yet. That is what it was originally designed for and it still where it works best. It also works well on Samba shares. I use BitDefender on all the proxy servers.
homerj1620
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Site Improvements