File listings

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Postby EMG » October 23rd, 2010, 9:53 am

I had actually intended to do that when we were setting up the new file system but it got spaced. I have added it back into the todo list as it should be quite easy.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Liann » October 23rd, 2010, 1:37 pm

I vote YES to that suggestion. I'm sure it wastes a lot of bandwidth going from the file description to the files-homepage, with 100 out of 2,300 file descriptions automatically sent to me which have not been asked for and may not be wanted. That must happen several thousand times per day, perhaps tens of thousands of times per day. It may be part of causing slowdown of functions during busy periods. There are currently 148 users online at this very instant and each one may be doing several file searches per minute.

Personally, I don't mind going to the files navigator, clicking "more options" to get to the file author, but I do mind when I get PHP error messages that the system can't show me ANYTHING because the system is overwhelmed. Then I can't download, read forums, post, upload, search files, NOTHING.

Anything which shortcuts getting what you want is bound to have the complimentary effect of lessening the burden of processor gridlock.

I am new here and I do not know how often it happens but yesterday intermittently over several hours there were slowdowns and interruptions in service which I interpreted as being caused by too many simultaneous requests choking the data pipelines. Every single one of those file entries has to be looked up fresh and new to compose that list of 100 files, and that is 100 search operations needed to compose that list every time. Each listing has to be customized for premium and non-premium users, with non-premium getting the "premium" graphic placement on each relevant file description. That is more processor decisions for each file listing.

The shortcut of "clicking on author name" avoids the full monty default filelist operation, and for many authors there will be many fewer than 100 file descriptions to return, saving processor load and bandwidth consumption. It might be end up being a significant saving overall.

Since I am new here, I did a lot of author searches. I was curious about the body of work and themes, and who is active in which niches. Speaking from personal experience, I appreciate anything which provides more instant gratification. It may be that it has benefits for system operations to do that.

If you like, I could make an anti-procrastination hypno file to MAKE you do it... :twisted: :P :D :wink: :)
Liann
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Site Improvements