Headaches or anxiety symptoms after hypnosis

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Headaches or anxiety symptoms after hypnosis

Postby maddog37 » June 24th, 2013, 9:04 pm

I am relatively new here. Technically I've been on for awhile, but every time I start, I would get headaches and a bad lump in my throat, which I know is one of my main anxiety symptoms. The headache is more like a tension headache.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is this normal? Any way to get past it? It's what keeps stopping me from continuing every time.

It's not just erotic hypnosis. The same thing happened when I did birthing hypnosis while I was pregnant, when I try to do anxiety reduction hypnosis, etc. I'm good with relaxation and meditation, so I don't understand the difference.

Background info, in case its of any relevance, I have childhood traumatic experiences (physical, emotional, and sexual abuse) that apparently makes me more prone to anxiety than the typical person because i suppress emotions. Is there any hypnosis that helps with these things?
maddog37

Postby ParanoidLord » June 24th, 2013, 11:40 pm

If hypnosis in general gives you anxiety symptoms, I don't think you're going to be able to trance your way out of it. You may want to see a psychotherapist and try to work through this; not being one myself I don't think I'm really qualified to give you further advice.
(Don't) avoid the noid.
ParanoidLord
Mentor
Mentor

Postby WatDo » June 25th, 2013, 12:35 am

Try various hypnosis files with a gentle voice aimed at relaxing you or putting you to sleep. It may also be the position that might requiring changing. Like for some reason when I sit in my computer chair I have a more comfortable trance. But when laying down it's iffy and I snap myself out of it constantly because it feels like my anxiety acts up. Like sudden rushed breathing or a weird feeling in my throat.
WatDo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » June 25th, 2013, 7:15 am

Hello, maddog37 -

Welcome to the WMM forum. As opinion, I believe this is the best part of WMM.
    I joined for the mp3s. Along the way, I discovered community... I discovered others who enjoy recreational trance as much as I do.

It's mind-blowing to realize how global this community is. And I'm grateful to EMG for making it possible.

This forum connects you with folk who care about your success and your development. And, you've asked about headache; possibly anxiety symptoms:
Background info, in case its of any relevance, I have childhood traumatic experiences (physical, emotional, and sexual abuse) that apparently makes me more prone to anxiety than the typical person because i suppress emotions. Is there any hypnosis that helps with these things?

I'm concerned about the anxiety you've described. But I'm also aware of a common mistake that gets made by enthusiastic beginners - they push themselves too hard.

So, I'm recommending you test something. I'm suggesting you discontinue recreational trance for a few days - maybe a week. Remain a member here. Continue enjoying the forums, the journals, the chat... simply take a break from hypnosis recordings.

After taking a break, limit yourself to listening to your favorite mp3. Just that ONE recording and just ONE time through. Then, wait 24 hours (or more) before trancing again.

It's possible you'll discover you trance without headache - by doing it less.

I hope you'll find the responses to your forum question reveal to you that you're part of a community now. And, I hope you'll stop back periodically to post updates about what you discover.

MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby maddog37 » June 25th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Thanks everyone! This was really helpful. I think I probably overdid it so ill try that last suggestion. It's really hard to pick just one! So many good stuff here. :)

I do trance. Things don't necessarily work the way they're supposed to, but I'll basically go into a dream state and have dreams incorporating the scenario or emotions that go with the hypnosis in progress.

I already went to a psychiatrist and a couple therapist to work through some stuff when I had severe postpartum anxiety due to what happened. I've done a lot of good work on it but some stuff is going to be slow going. I wish I don't have to skip hypnosis just because of stupidity from 2 decades ago cuz it's pretty fun. I'm a pretty normal well rounded person all things considered, so it gets very frustrating when I can't do random oddities like this.
maddog37

Postby Squirrelous » June 25th, 2013, 4:57 pm

Seems like you have severe trust issues. You feel like anyone in the passenger seat of your mental "car" is automatically "taking the wheel away from you" by being there.

You might need to just write your own scripts and meditate to them yourself. Being self-reliant isn't a bad thing, by the way.
Squirrelous
Regular
Regular

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » June 27th, 2013, 2:27 pm

maddog37 wrote:Thanks everyone! This was really helpful. I think I probably overdid it so ill try that last suggestion. It's really hard to pick just one! So many good stuff here. :)

As you have time, maddog37, come on back to the forum. Let us know how trance feels after the break from listening to hypnosis recordings.

Have you chosen which recording you'll listen to first? Just ONE recording and listening just ONE time through? It's unnecessary to publicly tell which one it will be. Sometimes, private pleasures are best.

When the time feels right, listen and trance. Then, let us know how trance feels.
The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they’re too heavy to be broken.

Check out my latest journal entry: here.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis